Friday, July 29, 2011

Ingredient of the Week: HPNOTIQ

First I will say that I have been seriously slacking on my blog. I apologize for that, I promise I will start posting more often! At minimum I will post once a week the "Ingredient of the Week" this can range anywhere from drinks to spices to foods.

This week I chose HPNOTIQ as the Ingredient of the Week. 

HPNOTIQ is a blue liqueur made from vodka, cognac and tropical fruit juices. HPNOTIQ has also released a pink version called Harmonie.

My first encounter with Hpnotiq was in my 9th grade, 1st period computer class. It was one of those rare classes where they seemed to put all the "cool kids" and "trouble makers" in one class. Ever had a class like that? I loved it, it was actually the only class I went to everyday. Anyways, Michelle, a friend of mine, brought in several of the little mini bottles, the ones that maybe have 5 oz in them. She gave me one and told me to try it. So of course I did, it tasted like kool-aid to me with a little burn. At the time I didn't know that all liquor burns. LOL. I was new to alcohol, and didn't want to seem like a chump so I took the rest of the bottle as a shot. BIG MISTAKE. Even though it was only a couple of oz, I was not a drinker at all, and I had not ate breakfast. I didn't vomit (thank goodness, that would have been embarrassing!) but I definitely felt the effects. I skipped the rest of the day and went to sleep. And that was my introduction to alcohol. I still like Hpnotiq, in fact there is a bottle in my freezer right now.
Below are some recipes that use HPNOTIQ. They are all drinks, I have never ran across any food recipes that use HPNOTIQ. :-( If you have any send me a copy to try!


Absolutely Heaven
2 oz Absolut Citron Vodka
1/2 oz HPNOTIQ
1/2 oz Malibu Rum
1 splash Blue Curacao
1 oz Pineapple Juice
Pour Absolut Citron, Hpnotiq, Malibu, and pineapple juice into a shaker. Shake. Add Blue Curacao for color... just a splash! Pour into chilled martini glass and garnish with a lemon wedge on the rim of the glass.

Blue Snowflake
2 oz HPNOTIQ
1 splash Vodka
1 oz Pineapple Juice
Shake ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass.

HPNO-Tini
2 oz HPNOTIQ
1oz Vodka
1 splash Lemon Juice
Shake well with ice. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a lemon slice.

HPNO-Rita
2 oz HPNOTIQ
1 oz White Tequila
1 splash Lime Juice
Shake well. Pour over ice in a salt rimmed Margarita glass. Garnish with a lime wheel.

Bubbles 'N Blue
2 oz HPNOTIQ
2 oz Champagne
Pour chilled Hpnotiq and champagne into a champagne flute.

Hope you enjoy the drinks! Let me know how you like them!
Zanette

No comments: